The Second Ignite Award Recipients
The BCIC Ignite Awards on February 7, 2017 awarded a total of $873,475 to the top three BC research projects in natural resources and applied sciences:
- UBC’s Dr. Steven Rogak, working with Hydra Energy to develop innovations in Hydrogen Internal Combustion Engine (HICE) technology: Awarded $300,000
- UVIC’s Dr. Frank Van Veggel, working with Axine Water Technologies to develop novel electro-catalyst materials that will enhance ammonia removal: Awarded $300,000
- UBC’s Dr. Jonathan Holzman, working with ExcelSense Technology to create self-cleaning camera technology for forestry and mining applications: Awarded $273,475
This brings the total amount of BCIC Ignite funding awarded to over $1.7M since the first Ignite Awards in 2016.
Could you be next?
BCIC Ignite provides funding to accelerate commercialization of new technologies and innovations in the natural resources and applied sciences in British Columbia. The program provides awards of up to $300,000 to consortia that are conducting research projects that address a significant demonstrated problem faced by industry and will commercialize a proposed innovation within a 3-year timeframe.
- Focus: Proposals must involve the areas of natural resources, applied science and/or engineering, and must provide a clearly articulated solution to an existing problem.
- Teams: Applicants must be a BC-based consortium comprised of two or more companies, organizations and academic researchers. All consortia must include an academic member and an industry partner.
- Matching funds: Projects must secure matching funds from industry or government sources at a ratio of 2:1 matching dollars to Ignite dollars.
- Timing: Projects must plan to move a proposed innovation to market within a 3-year timeframe.
Read the complete details in the 2017 Program Guidelines
- Winter-Spring Competition 2017: closed.
- Summer-Fall Competition 2017 opens May 1. Letter of Intent is due June 27, 2017
Potential applicants are encouraged to first contact Program Manager, Kailyn Skuban at 604-602-5205 or firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss their project and the program eligibility requirements prior to submitting a Letter of Intent.
BCIC Ignite is funded by the Natural Resources and Applied Sciences (NRAS) Endowment Fund, which was established by the Province of British Columbia to enhance the quality of life for British Columbians by building a strong research and development, advanced training, technology transfer and commercialization environment. Assessment services are provided in collaboration with the National Research Council of Canada Industrial Research Assistance Program (NRC-IRAP).
For program information, contact:
- Kailyn Skuban, Program Manager.
- T: 604-602-5205
- E: email@example.com