The First Ever Ignite Award Recipients
$838,000 was awarded to the top four BC research projects in natural resources and applied sciences:
- UBC’s Dr. Pieter Cullis working with Integrated Nanotherapeutics for increased X-ray effectiveness in cancer treatment: Awarded $300,000
- UBC’s Dr. Edouard Asselin, working to revolutionize copper production with Jetti Resources: Awarded $300,000
- Dr. David Wilkinson, UBC, working to develop an adaptable and cost-effective electrochemical cell platform with Noram Engineering: Awarded $150,000
- UNBC’s Dr. Thomas Tannert, working with FP Innovations to develop the next generation of anchors for tall wood building construction: Awarded $88,000
Could you be next?
BCIC Ignite provides funding to accelerate commercialization of new technologies and innovations in the natural resources and applied sciences in British Columbia. The program provides awards of up to $300,000 to consortia that are conducting research projects that address a significant demonstrated problem faced by industry and will commercialize a proposed innovation within a 3-year timeframe.
- Focus: Proposals must involve the areas of natural resources, applied science and/or engineering, and must provide a clearly articulated solution to an existing problem.
- Teams: Applicants must be a BC-based consortium comprised of two or more companies, organizations and academic researchers. All consortia must include an academic member and an industry partner.
- Matching funds: Projects must secure matching funds from industry or government sources at a ratio of 2:1 matching dollars to Ignite dollars.
- Timing: Projects must plan to move a proposed innovation to market within a 3-year timeframe.
Read the complete details in the 2017 Program Guidelines
- Winter-Spring Competition 2017, Letter of Intent is due to BCIC by January 17, 2017
- Summer-Fall Competition 2017, Letter of Intent is due to BCIC by June 27, 2017
Potential applicants are encouraged to first contact Program Manager, Kailyn Skuban at 604-602-5205 or email@example.com to discuss their project and the program eligibility requirements prior to submitting a Letter of Intent.
BCIC Ignite is funded by the Natural Resources and Applied Sciences (NRAS) Endowment Fund, which was established by the Province of British Columbia to enhance the quality of life for British Columbians by building a strong research and development, advanced training, technology transfer and commercialization environment. Assessment services are provided in collaboration with the National Research Council of Canada Industrial Research Assistance Program (NRC-IRAP).
For program information, contact:
- Kailyn Skuban, Program Manager.
- T: 604-602-5205
- E: firstname.lastname@example.org